America's Fastest Growing
Independent Financial Advisory Network
A Nationwide Network of 100% Independent & 100% Objective Fee-Only Financial Advisers
|The-Adviser.com The place to come for answers|
|How do I know if I'm being ripped off?
By The-Adviser.com -
|New York - If you
are getting something for nothing or if your adviser is promising you investment returns
that seem unusually high, you should be concerned. The most common form of being swindled
or ripped off revolves around small stocks. It goes like this:
1) Stock promoters gain control of a small company and purchase large amounts of shares. In some cases, management and company executives are in on the pending swindle and also take insider positions. In some cases, the promoters arrange for the company to initiate an initial public offering (IPO).
2) The promoters then hire public relations and analysts who issue glowing buy recommendations on the stock. Brokers are then hired who then sell the stock to their clients. The brokers generally get additional commissions in cash or stock.
3) As the stock is sold to innocent individuals, the price rises and the promoters begin to sell. The people who were scammed the earliest actually begin to see a profit because their stock is rising. In some cases, they are urged to hold and buy more.
4) The rising pricing then attracts unaffiliated third party investors who noticed the rise in the price of the stock. These investors are not conned first hand but are oblivious to the reasons why the stock is "artificially high" in the first place. The con-artists continue to sell their shares until they own no more.
5) Once the promoters have made their money, everyone including the brokers and public relations people stop pushing the stock. The price generally plunges. Innocent investors are left with big losses.
The Independent Adviser Corporation is a 100% Independent and 100% Objective Financial Advisory Firm that writes buy-side investment research. Our network of independent Fee-Only Financial Advisers serves individuals, families and businesses. They provide financial planning services, tax advice and offer professionally managed asset accounts. They do not underwrite corporate securities nor do they sell any proprietary products. To find out more or get a FREE consultation Ask The-Adviser.com.
The most common form of being swindled or ripped off revolves around small stocks.
Got an investment question?
Open a professionally managed account:
You don't need to be rich to hire a Financial Adviser. Just Smart
The Independent Adviser Corporation is a Registered Investment
Adviser that helps individuals, families and businesses develop investment
and financial planning strategies.
Do you have a question about your investments?
© Copyright. The Independent Adviser Corporation. All rights reserved. Important Legal Information